I love squash in most forms, and on a cold winter’s day there are few things more satisfying then a hot bowl of yummy soup. I put this recipe together, crossing my fingers it would work and it’s so good I must share!
Makes 6 cups of soup
1 tbsp oil (for roasting squash)
1 butternut squash, roasted
1 tbsp coconut oil (can be replaced with other oils)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp sugar (to caramelize onion)
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium yams, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth (any will do but I made this one)
1 cup quinoa
1/2 tsp All Spice (I tend to eyeball my spices and taste test)
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast cut side up for 50-60min. When it’s done, remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the squash and discard the skin.
2. In the meantime, heat coconut oil in pot, add onion and sugar. Heat until onion starts to brown, mixing occasionally. About 5min.
3. Add carrots and yams and continue to heat for another few minutes
4. Add broth, mix well (If you’re making the broth, I advise making it in advance to cut down on prep time)
5. Add quinoa, salt, pepper, cinnamon and all spice, mix well and simmer for 15 minutes
6. Add squash, mix well and simmer for another 5min to mix the flavour. Add more spices if necessary.
7. Using a blender, puree the soup. You may need to add water if it’s very thick.
* nutritional facts calculated using MyFitnessPal.com. Facts will be altered if a different broth is used.